Sunday, October 03, 2004

The Princeton Review on BYU

BYU ranked 5th on the "Top 10 Most Politically Conservative Colleges," according to surveys given by the Princeton Review. This is what they had to say:

5. Brigham Young University (UT)
One can't separate Brigham Young University and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the school's sponsoring faith. From the student body to the "stringent" honor code (which regulates not only academic behavior but also dress, hair length, diet, and sexual activity) to the heavy religious studies requirement, BYU serves the needs of America's Mormon community first and foremost. Those few non-Mormons we heard from in our survey suggest that outsiders considering the school strongly consider their ability to live within Mormonism's strict requirements. "Life at BYU is a lot different than a typical university life," explains a typical undergrad. "Students here do not participate in activities that are in contrast with our religious beliefs." Some, however, warn that "the nonconformist will find a dull social life with difficulty finding someone [who] will be their friend, regardless of who they are or what they believe."

I have mixed feelings about our rank number. We have also been ranked the number one stone cold sober school in the nation.

Texas A&M at College Station was ranked first and UT-D was number seven. Some of the others include the Air Force and the Naval Academy. UT-Austin was ranked seventh in the "Ten Schools That Party the Heartiest."

I gave up the party school for the conservative one and so far I am happy with my trade off. Reputation is one of the things you must look in to when searching for the right college. All though my mom says that what school you go to does not matter as long as you want to learn. Which is true I guess but the atmosphere that the school provides is vital to the rhythm of study.

1 Comments:

At October 6, 2004 at 7:21 PM , Blogger Ana said...

Eli and I are in a similar situation with my parents. The only thing that keeps me going is that I dont want to disappoint them. I dont want to diasappoint myself.I know you have your head in the right place. You are right, its not easy but you can do your best. Do your part and HF will help you with the rest. I know your parents will love you for it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home