Monday, January 24, 2005

News...

I was reading the school's newspaper today and I was just thinking that some of the headlines are a little unorthodox.

The main story is about an 18 year old hockey player from Alaska who died this Saturday while he was trying to block a shot. The puck hit him right on the chest and he had a heart attack. BYU does not have an official team but this team was all BYU students.

It's very creapy because the night of the game, my roommate's friend was over here and he was going to the game. My other roommate told him to yell, "Put him in a body bag!" and then this happens...

Also, Playboy keeps sending their postcards to the guys dorms and the boys are outraged. The school has tryed many times to get Playboy to stop but they just wont listen. I guess targeting the male college population is a smart business move but they should consider the religious population here.

There was also an article about this guy Daniel Ogden, a BYU student, who is serving in the war as a translator. He learned Arabic during his mission and now he gets to use his gift to help others. His dad, Dr. Kelly Ogden, was my New Testament teacher last semester. He always talked to us about his son and today the article was all about him and how hard war is. I bet he was so proud, he must have showed the article in class today. His son points out that there is a real lack of morality among the men of the armed forces. It's a real shame. Where have our morals gone?

There were a couple of stories about the damage that the recent floods have caused in Southern Utah this last couple of months. Little creeks turned into the Colorado River over night.

As for me, I passed my spanish civ. test with a 93 and spanish grammar with... well, the point is I passed. If I can do math in my head (and I cant) I got an 80? It was a two part test, I dont know how she will do the points...

My parents left town on Friday and they did not bother to tell me or my sister that lives in Houston. We are the only two of their kids that don't live in Dallas and they never tell us anything.

I wonder if I would be a good news reporter?

4 Comments:

At January 24, 2005 at 5:18 PM , Blogger Noemi said...

I think you would make a great reporter. My sister also says we're going to forget her at points. I wonder if ANY newspaper will ever NOT report a death.

 
At January 25, 2005 at 5:42 AM , Blogger Neal Locke said...

You would make an excellent news reporter--it would also allow you to use your writing skills.

When I was in college, my family forgot to tell me (for two months) when my great-grandmother died. Get used to it, kid. They still love you.

 
At January 25, 2005 at 2:09 PM , Blogger Ana said...

Two months!!! That's unbelievable... how did you eventualy find out?

Noemi, you might forget about your sister some times you'll be too busy with you own life.

I dont know about being a writter I still have spelling issues.

 
At January 31, 2005 at 5:57 AM , Blogger Neal Locke said...

That's why good writters have good edittors. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home