Monday, January 30, 2006

Update, update, update...

Ok sorry for not updating sooner…

So the new semester is… well… I thought it was going to be great because I am only taking five classes as opposed to the usual eight, I don’t even have classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so it was going to be great but a whole month into it and well its not so great. Ok so I am taking Intro to Spanish literature, Iberian literature (literature from Spain), Spanish Translation, Political Science, and English (Technical Writing); all on Mondays and Wednesdays and Fridays I don’t have the Intro lit class. So yeah it’s like a dream schedule.

I was super excited about the two Spanish literature classes. I thought since I enjoyed English Literature in high school and I really like reading some of the stories for the AP Spanish Lit test the week before I took it; so I thought I was really going to enjoy the classes here but nope. I was wrong. My intro to lit class is a joke. We just sit there while the teacher rereads to stories to us that we were supposed to read for homework. He translates some phrases so it will help us understand it but it’s just not satisfying. I was expecting to go to class and have discussions on what the text really means and super analyze it; go over the themes and just real in-depth analysis but nope, we barely even scratch the surface. Every once in a while he gives comments that I really don’t agree on but I don’t say anything because well, he is intimidating. And then the other literature class is so serious (seriously boring). The teacher throws in a couple of terms (most of which are false cognates; they are not real words in Spanish) and expects us to know what he is talking about. Then he shows about 45 minutes of movie clips to help us relate the topics but everyone knows that the movie is never like the book so it’s just confusing. I am not enjoying the classes. The literature is great but the classes, well lets just say that… well, I’ll be nice and not say anything at all.

Oh but I love the English class. (English classes have always been great). We learn how to design technical documents, which are pretty much anything you read on a daily basis (labels, brochures, instructions manuals, resumes, etc.) I really like the teacher but again I don’t really enjoy the class. I am the only girl in a room with 25 boys. It’s very intimidating being the only girl but I can say that I am the prettiest, smartest, most athletic, talented, super cool girl in class ;) Well, and then Poli Sci, what was I thinking? I have not been able to score higher then a 7 out of 10 on the quizzes and I have a test on Thurs. But hey in three months I’ll be home…

The thing about this semester is that the whole world (or at least the few people I know) have secretly teamed up to make me social. I spent all of last semester and most of last year on the couch being anti-social. I know that it’s hard for some of you to believe but its true. So in someone’s attempt at making me social they (I wont mention any names JC) took away my agency and made me play a terrible, dangerous sport that I had never heard about called WALLYBALL. For those of you that have never heard of it (you are lucky) its this volley ball type game that you play in a racket ball court with this big rubber ball and forget all the rules that apply to volleyball. So basically its suicide in a tiny room with a rubber ball. It was… well, lets just say that I survived. But I must say that next time they wont have to try too hard to get me out there. Ooh and I might be easily persuaded to play a little racket ball one of these days. Hint, hint.

Well, its been snowing off and on since we got back and I have been working very hard not to fall in the snow but despite my efforts I had a close encounter with that white, wet, fluffy stuff today. I was pushed by my malicious roommate. I was just casually walking home (she was walking a couple of steps ahead of me planning the whole thing out) and all of a sudden she just turned around and pushed me. I had my hands in my pocket (as I usually do when I walk and I was looking at the floor so I did not even see her coming) and then when she pushed me, my foot got caught on my jeans and I lost my balance and fell. I bruised my knee and my ego. And she refused to kiss my booboo. Then as if that was not humiliating enough when we got home she attacked me with a dart gun. After half an hour of retaliation with her own dart gun, and a surprise ambush on my roommates who were studding in the living room, we ceased fire and decided to get back to homework. All I have to say is that my previous roommates would never have done a thing like that.

2 Comments:

At February 2, 2006 at 3:46 PM , Blogger Rocio said...

your posting always make me laugh. I have a hilarious roomamte too. You remember the fire incident. But hey we still have to love them. You do need to get out and do stuff because school is really frustating. Life cannot always be about school work.

 
At February 9, 2006 at 3:39 PM , Blogger Ana said...

Has she set anything else on fire lately?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home